My Gospel Band


iTunes get music on

Thursday, September 18, 2008

St.Peter's Basilica ( San Pietro )


St. Peter's Basilica (Italian San Pietro in Vaticano) is a major basilica in Vatican City, an enclave of
Rome. St. Peter's was until recently the largest church ever built (it covers an area of 23,000 m² and has a capacity of over 60,000), and it remains one of the holiest sites in Christendom.

Ancient tradition has it that St. Peter's Basilica was built at the place where Peter, the apostle who is considered the first pope, was crucified and buried; his tomb is under the main altar. Other popes are also buried in and below the basilica.

My Experience @ San Pietro :


The Basilica Opens at 7:00 am. I wanted to be one of the first to be there as ,there is so much to do and so little time in Rome. So I woke up at 5:00 am got ready ( Modest clothing is recommended) took at bus at Termini ( Bus # 46) and went to Vatican City. It was 6:15 am by the time I reached Vatican.

It was just amazing.

Words cant describe the feeling so I am not even going to try to explain. It was so early there were no people at all. So I got to take some awesome pictures almost better than the post cards.

It was still kind of dark as the sun hasnt risen yet. So I got the feeling of Basilica at night as well Below are some pictures. Enjoy.

Close up Picture of the Basilica. Check out the time.

San Pietro Basilica. As I had some time before the doors of the Basilica opened. I had time to walk around take some pictures. Enjoy some peaceful time at the most holy place .

Statue of St.Peter outside the Basilica.

As I walk into the Basilica.

There are no camera's that can capture the beauty of the Basilica.

Sun light is the only source of Light as I was there early too so the pictures came out a bit dark.

Statue of St. Peter.
Take a closer look at his feet. One of this feet doesnt have toes : Reason behind that it...hundreds of thousands of people touched his feet so the metal lost its shape.
Awesome painting on the Dome.









People did not have access to take a closer look at the tomb. But the body of St.Peter is laid in the Basilica. Behind the Golden gate you can see the white (those are the steps to go down to the tomb) the area lit by small lights is where the Tomb of St. Peter is.
I have tons of pictures. Come back soon to check out more pictures.
Thanks and Hope you had fun.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger